Almshouses – Roger's, Avenue Road,
opposite Cottage Hospital, – twelve in quadrangle – for
Bradford and Harrogate ladies in reduced circumstances.
Amusements – Fashionable promenade at the Wells,
7.30 to 9 a.m., Military Band – Driving and riding excursions to
numerous places of interest. Concerts at the Spa, orchestral noon,
vocal and orchestral at night, out–door entertainments from week
to week. The Town Hall Theatre, near the Old Sulphur Well, the
leading operatic and dramatic attractions of the year, almost
nightly throughout the season.
Bands – Spa, Town's, and
Banks - Bradford Old, James
Street ; Knaresborough and Claro, Cambridge Crescent; York City
and County, James Street. Hours: 10 to 3; Saturdays, 9 to 12.
Bath Chairs - Stand, Stray
side, opposite Prospect, fare is. 3d. first hour; 4d. each
Bath Hospital and Rawson Convalescent Home
stands on the high ground beyond the Bogs Field, 75 beds in the
Hospital and 50 in the Home ; erected at a cost of £38,000,
original institution founded in 1824.
Bath, Swimming - Only public
one at Prince of Wales' Baths, Starbeck.
Baths, Medicinal - Montpellier
and Victoria (Corporation property), Low Harrogate; Old Spa and
Prince of Wales, at Starbeck, reached by train; Harlow Car by
Bellmen - Clapham and Son, and
Birkinshaw and Son, residences:–Tower Street.
Bell Ringers - There is only
one peal of bells in Harrogate, viz at St. Mary's; though the
outlaying village of Beckwithshaw has a few that are nicely toned.
The Ringers at St Mary's belong to the Yorkshire Association of
Church Bell Ringers, and are also fairly successful amateurs with
Betty Lupton - Known as the Queen of the Well,
served the water at the Old Sulphur Spring for 56 years. She was
christened at Pannal, September 4th, 1763, and died at the age of
81 or 82. Further particulars and a silhouette portrait appear
Billposters - See Bellmen.
Birk Crag - A fine range of rocks and picturesque
vale–natural fernery–beyond Cornwall Road and left of Irongate
Boarding Houses - See list of visitors in local
Boating - On the Nidd, Knaresborough ; Wharfe,
Boston Spa; Ure, Borobridge.
Bogs Field - Six acres, contains 34 medicinal
springs of various kinds. Approach is from the Bogs Valley
Gardens, from Old Sulphur Well.
Borough Court - Commission granted 1885, sittings
Mondays, 11 a.m., Albert Hall, People's Hotel; Clerk, Mr. R. S.
Byron, James street.
Botany - Harrogate proper is not abundant in
botanical interest, but is an excellent centre for a prolific
Bowls - At the Spa Gardens.
Building Society - Knaresborough, Harrogate, and
Claro holds its meetings on Monday evenings, alternately, at the
George Hotel, Harrogate, and Oddfellows' Hall, Knaresborough.
Burial Boards - The Harrogate, and St. Mary's
Cab Fares - One horse, 2
persons is a mile, 6d. each additional half–mile ; 4 persons 1s.
6d. a mile, 5, 2s. By hour, 4 persons, 3s., more than 4, 3s. 6d.
Two horses, 5s an hour. From 11 p.m. to 7 a.m., double fares.
Cab Stands - Park Parade, High
Harrogate ; Queen Hotel, High Harrogate ; South Terrace, High
Harrogate ; Prince of Wales', Prospect Place, Montpellier Parade,
Promenade Square, Cheltenham Square, Cold Bath Road, North Station
Parade, Low Harrogate.
Carriers - Railway Company,
Sutton, and several locals.
Cemeteries - The Harrogate, in
High Harrogate, and Harlow.
Chess Club - Holds its meetings
at the Prospect Hotel, in the Autumn, Winter, and Spring.
Originated in 1884, has a small but agreeable membership, and
welcomes with cordial grace instinctive of gentlemanly feeling,
lovers of the game.
Choral Society - The
Churches and Chapels - Christ
Church, the Stray, High Harrogate ; St. Mary's Church, Low
Harrogate ; St. Peter's Church, Central Harrogate : St. John's
Church, Bilton : St. Robert's Church, Pannal; St. Michael's and
All Angels' Church, Beckwithshaw ; Wesleyan Methodist Chapel,
Chapel Street ; Trinity Wesleyan Chapel, West End Park; Methodist
Free Church, Station Parade ; Congregational Church, Victoria
Avenue; Presbyterian Church of England, Victoria Avenue ; The
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Cheltenham Mount; Baptist Church,
Victoria Avenue; Roman Catholic Church, St. Robert's Street. There
are rooms where various other sects worship.
Church Institute - Founded
1886, new building erected in St. Peter's Square, 1888, cost
Climate - Dry and bracing as a
rule. There are exceptions, but not frequent, in Harrogate.
Clubs - The Harrogate, Victoria
avenue ; and Prospect, Prospect Hotel, both social. Liberal Club,
Raglan Street ; Conservative, Cambridge Street. Visitors admitted
to temporary, membership.
Coaches, four–in–hands &c.
- Supplied by many hotels, and to order, amongst others from
Foster's Hydropathic Stables, Swan Lane; Lea's, Crown Stables, Low
Harrogate; Ward's Livery Stables, Albert Street; and Burgess &
Sons, the Riding School, East Park Road. Foster and Lea each run
daily public excursions in the season. Advertisements will be
found on our advertising pages.
Commissioners of Oaths - Most
of the Harrogate Solicitors, offices in the neighbourhood of James
Street and the Station.
Concert Rooms - At the Spa,
Town Hall Theatre, and Saloon, People's Hotel.
Conservative Club - Cambridge
Street. Billiards, Reading Room, &c.
County Court - Held at
Knaresborough second Friday in each month except September. Judge,
Mr. E. R. Turner; registrar, Mr. H. H. Capes; Court office,
Cricket - Several clubs exist,
the Harrogate. Cricket Club being the principal, and an
organisation of influential standing. Ground, Leeds Road. Visitors
admitted to temporary membership on application to Hon. Sec.
Curling Club - Plays on
Goodrick's pond almost daily whilst good ice remains.
Cycling - There is a large club
in Harrogate, and frequent runs of interest. The roads in the town
and district are suitable for the exercise and much frequented.
The great North of England Cyclists' meet, races, and camp are
held on August Bank Holiday, in the grounds of the Harrogate
Cricket Club. The camp extends from the Saturday till Wednesday,
and the sports over Saturday, 1llonclav, and sometimes Tuesday.
Death Rate of Harrogate has been as low as
117, average 137
Donkeys - For hire in the
season on the stand at the Stray side. Prospect Hill.
Drainage - Harrogate is one of
the best drained and sewered towns in the kingdom.
Dramatic Society - Harrogate
Amateur Operatic and Dramatic Society, a fashionable and
successful organisation, formed in 1888.
Drives to various places of interest such
as Fountains Abbey, Bolton Abbey, Brimham Rocks, Pateley Bridge
and Nidderdale, Harewood House, Fewston, Ribston Park are amongst
the longer popular drives, whilst Knaresborough returning via
Plompton Rocks ; Ripley, Beckwithshaw, Haverah Park, Pannal,
Spofforth are short and pleasant.
Driving, for those who are partial to the reins, may
readily be indulged in through the livery stables.
Excursions in well–equipped vehicles are
run daily (Sundays excepted) to the chief places of interest, many
of which have good train service.
Fanciers - There are dog,
pigeon, and cage–bird fanciers in Harrogate but no poultry yards
Fire Brigade - Twelve firemen
including Captain and Sergeant. The fire engine is a manual
machine, and the station adjoins the market. Telephone
communication to homes of all members.
Fishing - To be had in the Ure
at Boroughbridge, Ripon and Tanfield ; in the Nidd at
Knaresborough, Pateley Bridge, and Bilton Banks; Wharfe at
Arthington, Pool, &c.
Fishing Club - For information
or to join temporarily address the Secretary, Harrogate Fishing
Floral and Horticultural Society, The High
Harrogate - Holds its show annually in August or
September. Includes horses.
Football - One principal club
(the Harrogate) several minor. Ground, Dragon Field.
Fountains Abbey - Drive from
Harrogate takes in Ripon and the grounds of Studley. Mansion of
latter not shown to visitors.
Fox Hunting - Harrogate is
favoured by three packs: The Bramham, the York and Ainsty, and the
Bedale. There is no better centre for the sportsman, hence the
growing popularity of Harrogate as a winter resort.
Freemasonry - The old Cottage
Hospital Building in Avenue Road has been purchased by the craft,
and the lodge 1001 has convenient quarters there, as well as a
royal arch chapter. The lodge 1001 was consecrated in 1864.
Friendly Societies - The Mineral Spring
Lodge of Oddfellows, Manchester Unity is the oldest, and holds its
meetings alternate Saturdays at the Albert Hall, Albert Street ;
the Cheltenham Spring Lodge of National Independent Order of Free
Gardeners is the next, meetings George Hotel, alternate Saturdays;
Ancient Order of Shepherdesses, meetings monthly, Albert Hall ;
Peaceful Dove Lodge of National Independent Order of Oddfellows,
meetings alternate Mondays, St. James' Hall ; Order of Free
Gardeners, monthly, Denmark Tavern, Denmark Street ; Ancient Order
of Foresters, Court Pride of Yorkshire, alternate Mondays,
Crescent Hotel ; Juvenile branch of Foresters, monthly, at
Gardens - Spa, Bogs Valley,
Montpellier and Private Grounds in various neighbourhoods in
Gas Works - At Little Wonder,
on the Ripon Road, owned by a private Company.
Geology of Harrogate is dealt with in another portion of
this work, and cannot be summarised.
Halls - Town Hall, or Theatre,
near Sulphur Well; Concert Room, at the Spa; Albert Hall, and the
Saloon, People's Hotel; St. James' Hall, Cambridge Street.
Harlow Moor - The high ground
beyond the Bogs Field, approached there from by footpath. It is
leased by the town from the Earl of Harewood, and provided with
seats, and sanded walks suitable for bath chairs. The air is
invigorating, and the view extensive and beautiful, the panoramic
glimpse of Harrogate being singularly effective.
Harlow Tower - Just above
Harlow Moor, is the local observatory from which, on a clear day,
the country may be viewed for many miles, It is go feet high and
nearly 700 feet above the level of the sea, at its summit.
Telescopes provided, charge, 6d.
Harrogate Amateur Minstrels -
Formed in 1877, have established and maintained a considerable
reputation, and given material aid to many local and general
Hospitals - The Bath Hospital
and Rawson Convalescent Home, Cornwall Road, cost £38,000, for
treatment of afflicted poor by aid of the Harrogate medicinal
waters. Cottage Hospital, Avenue Road, founded 1870, devoted to
the poor of the district. Its accident wards are of incalculable
benefit. Home for Incurables, Montpellier Parade.
Hotels - Alexandra, Adelphi,
Clarendon, Commercial, Crown, County, Empress, Granby, George,
North Eastern Station, Prospect, Prince of Wales, Queen, Royal,
Somerset, Stonefall, White Hart and Wellington are the most
important, though a number of smaller, but nevertheless
comfortable, houses exist.
Hydropathics - In alphabetical
order we have the Imperial, the Cairn, the Connaught, the
Harrogate, and the Spa. The Harrogate Hydropathic is the largest
and oldest establishment.
Hymn Books used in Harrogate - Christ
Church, Hymnal Companion and Cathedral Psalter; St. Mary's, ditto
; St. Peter's, H. A. and M.; St. John's, Bilton, Church Hymns; St.
Robert's, Pannal, Hymnal Companion; St. Michael's, Beckwithshaw,
Cathedral Psalter and Church Hymns.–Wesley and Trinity
(Wesleyan) Chapels, Wesleyan Hymn Book; Methodist Free Church,
M.F.Ch. Hymn Book; Primitive Methodist Chapel, P.M. Hymnal;
Congregational Church, Leeds Hymn Book; Baptist Church, Psalter
and Hymnal; Presbyterian Church, Church Praise.
Irongate Bridge - The structure
at the mouth of Birk Crag vale, reached from Cornwall Road.
Irrigation Farm - To the left
of Ripon Road leaving Harrogate, comprises 310 acres, and is the
admiration of experts. In Wetherby Lane are 13 acres devoted to
the same purpose.
Knaresborough - One of the
quaintest and most picturesque show places in the district. Three
miles from Harrogate, by train or road. Includes the castle, the
dropping or petrifying well, one ancient church, the curious
excavations in a rocky height known as St. Robert's chapel and
cave, and much also that is beautiful in nature. Plompton Rocks
may be taken on the return journey.
Lacrosse - Extensively played
in Harrogate, where the county colours have frequently been won by
our local club. Many Harrogate players have found places in the
Laundry - A well equipped steam
laundry is in operation at Smithy Hill, and many private
laundresses of experience are at the service of visitors. The
clear atmosphere of Harrogate is conducive to the snowy whiteness
of linen impossible in a smoky town.
Lawn Tennis - The principal
club known as the Dragon, has its ground in a field between the
Granby and County Hotels ; there is another private club in
Goodrick's field, off Leeds Road, Visitors are admitted to
temporary membership of both clubs. The Hotels and the Spa have
Liberal Club - In Raglan
Street, available to Visitors. Billiard and reading rooms.
Literary Societies - The Harrogate Literary
Society is the general organisation, meetings, Wednesday evenings
in the winter. The Churches have their institute and series of
lectures, and the Chapels in most cases. have theirs under the
title of Mutual Improvement Society.
Little Wonder - The colony near
the Gas Works is most frequently called Little Wonder after the
title which the public house of the neighbourhood has borrowed
from a noted racer. The correct name for this district, inhabited
purely by working people, is New Park. It is in the parish of
Bilton, and possesses a neat mission room.
Lodging Houses - There is no
lack of choice under this head for invalids' requirements. High
Harrogate is cool and bracing, Central Harrogate, open and
convenient, Low Harrogate, sheltered and accessible to the Wells,
Baths, and other places, Apartments may be acquired at terms to
suit any means.
Magistrates - There are both
County and Borough Magistrates. The former sit in the Petty–
Sessional Court, at Knaresborough, on Wednesdays, at 11 ; the
latter in the Borough Court, Albert Hall, On Mondays, at 11.
Mails - Harrogate is well
served in this respect. There are 19 despatches on week–days,
commencing at 5–35 a.m., and ending at 8–45 p.m.; and 3
despatches on Sundays; four week–day deliveries, and one Sunday.
Market Hall - Is bounded on
three sides respectively by Station Square, Cambridge Street, and
Market Street. Contains meat, fish, fruit, game, and miscellaneous
stalls, open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., except Saturdays, 11 p.m.
Mayors - The following have
occupied the civic chair of Harrogate: Mr. Nicholas Carter, Mr.
Richard Ellis, Mr. Wm. Taylor, and Mr. Samson Fox.
Medicinal Waters - Eighty
springs comprising strong and mild sulphur waters, iron, &c.
The Old Sulphur, Kissengen, Chloride and Carbonate of Iron, and
Alexandra are amongst the most celebrated, whilst the No. 36 well
promises to become famous as its virtues are made known.
Municipal Offices - At the Victoria Baths,
Low Harrogate, comprise Council Chamber, Town Clerk's, Surveyor's,
Tax Collector's, and Nuisance Inspector's offices.
Newspapers - Harrogate Herald
(Liberal;, Wednesday, 1d. ; Harrogate Advertiser, Saturday
(Conservative), 1d. The following papers known as the Harrogate
Herald series are printed at the Herald Printing Works, Harrogate,
and circulate throughout a wide district: Harrogate Herald,
Wednesdays ; Ripon Gazette, Thursdays and Saturdays; Bedale and
Northallerton Times, Fridays ; Pateley Bridge and Nidderdale
Herald, Friday noon for Saturday; Knaresborough Post, Friday
afternoon for Saturday morning. Communications to the Editors ;
Advertisements to the publishers of the respective papers,
addressed to Harrogate.
Otter Hunting - At certain
season of the year, in the Nidd, Ure, and Wharfe.
Out Porters - They stand near
the gates, in the yard, on each side of the railway station.
Pack–horse Bridge - To the
right of Irongate Bridge, near Birk Crag. Take the path to the
right leading to a quarry before descending the hill to Irongate
Pannal Village - In the vale of
Crimple, two miles south–east of Harrogate. The church is one of
the three ancient forest ecclesiastical structures (Fewston,
Hampsthwaite, and Pannal), and the mother church of St. Mary's,
Low Harrogate, Harlow Hill, and Beckwithshaw.
Parishes - Christ Church, High
Harrogate; St. John's, Bilton ; St. Peter's, Central Harrogate ;
St. Mary's, Low Harrogate.
Petty Sessions - At
Knaresborough Court House, Wednesdays, at 11 o'clock.
Pillar–boxes or wall–boxes
- Near following: Adelphi Hotel, Brunswick Terrace, Church
Square, Harlow Road, Royal Crescent, Lancaster Road, Parliament
Street, Queen Street, Railway Station, Royal Parade, Westmoreland
Street, York Place, Bilton, Strawberrydale Road, Starbeck, Hyde
Park Terrace, East Park Road, Eton Terrace, West End Park,
Beechwood Crescent, Beech Grove, Ripon Road, Pannal Ash Road,
Alexandra Park, and Bachelor Gardens.
Places of Interest - May be most
conveniently understood from our tabulated summary on a later
page. Full details in the amplified section.
Plumpton Rocks - Three miles
drive south–east, a charming wood, wild lake with lofty stone
heights, curiously formed boulders, and altogether a fine picture
of solitude. Across the road are gardens and house for pic–nic
parties, open weekdays and Sundays.
Police Station - Raglan Street,
next to United Methodist Free Church. Give notice of lost property
Population of Harrogate - The
Borough of Harrogate proper 14,000. Just outside the boundary in
many directions there is a considerable population, which for all
business, if not for rateable purposes should be included in
Harrogate. The population then is greatly increased.
Post Offices - General, in
James Street ; Receiving Offices, High Harrogate, Royal Parade,
and Denmark Street. Sub–offices at New Park, Pannal, Starbeck,
Public Library - Has temporary–
premises in Raglan Street, on the site purchased by the
Corporation for a new Town Hall. The Act was adopted in 1887, and
rooms opened in Fern Villa, Princes Street.
Pump Rooms - The Royal, Promenade Square,
the original strong sulphur, a mild sulphur for drinking, and six
other springs used only for bathing purposes. The magnesia, the
Alexandra iron, and the Crescent saline are also served here for
drinking. The Montpellier Pump Room, Montpellier Gardens, Low
Harrogate, strong and mild sulphurs and the Kissengen. Magnesia
Pump Room, Bogs Field, the magnesia, alum, and No. 36 spring. Spa
Pump Room at the Spa Rooms, bottom of Parliament Street, chloride
and carbonate of iron waters. John's Well, the Stray, Wetherby
Road, High Harrogate, strong chalybeate. Tewit Well, the Stray,
near Leeds Road, and opposite Prince of Wales Hotel, a pure
chalybeate. Starbeck, mild sulphur and a chalybeate. Harlow Car,
beyond Harlow Church, mild sulphur and a chalybeate.
Railways - he North Eastern
hold the monopoly. The main line is from Leeds to Thirsk and north
to Edinburgh. The Harrogate branches are the York and
Knaresborough, Church Fenton, Pilmoor, Bradford, and Nidd Valley.
Railway Station - One, top of
James Street, approached by East Parade, North Park Road, Station
Parade, Cambridge, James, Albert, and Raglan Streets.
Rainfall - Harrogate is not a
rainy town, and the streets do not harbour wet.
Rateable Value - The Borough of
Harrogate is constantly increasing as the following figures will
show. It represents three fourths of the gross rental : 1877,
£53,040 ; 1878, ; £57,I40 1879, £62,460 ; 1880, £66,254; 7881,
£67,273: 1882, £69,700; 1883, ,£70,700 1884, £71,500; 1885,
£72,800; 1886, £74,200; 1887, ,£75,250: 1888, £76,400; 1889,
£78,800; 1890, £81,140.
Reservoirs - Domestic water,
four : Harlow Hill, Irongate–bridge Road, Beaver Dyke, and the
"Ten Acres," Haverah Park. A small reservoir in Cold
Bath Road belonging to the Company is leased by the Corporation,
and augments the stream and miniature lakes in Bogs Valley
Reservoirs - For conservation
of medicinal waters, the largest in a field near the Harrogate
Hydro', approached from Swan Lane, holds 365,000 gallons, built in
1886; another at the west end of the Victoria Baths contains
140,000 gallons; and a third in the Town Hall gardens, for mild
alkaline water, has a capacity of 60,000 gallons.
Restaurants - The North
Eastern, Station Square is the newest and best appointed, though
the People's Hotel Coffee House, and the St. James' Coffee House
cater largely and well if in a humbler way.
Riding - Horses to be had from
the various livery stables ; the Stray an excellent run ; a Riding
School in East Park Road, off Victoria Avenue.
Ripley - The seat of Sir Henry Ingilby
(Ripley Castle), a model village and ancient church. Three–and–a–half
miles by road, by train one mile from station. Beautiful lake,
good skating in winter. Grounds open Fridays ten to four.
St. John's Ambulance Society -
Holds its meetings at the Church Institute.
Schools - Harrogate possesses
some of the finest Schools in the country, and owing to its
healthfulness is one of the most popular Scholastic centres in the
Kingdom, particularly for delicate children. Many a parent looks
with pride upon the stalwart form and robust constitution of his
once weakly boy and remembers Harrogate with gratitude. There are
no Board Schools, all voluntary.
Skating - In winter on
Goodrick's pond, off Leeds Road; Appleby Car and the Nidd,
Knaresborough, and the Spa, Harrogate, where roller skating may be
had during the summer.
Societies - Nearly every
society is represented in Harrogate, including Bible Society,
Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Women's Temperance, Waifs and
Strays, Choral, Floral and Horticultural, Dramatic and Operatic,
University Extension, Literary, Mutual Improvement, St. John's
Spa Concert Room and Gardens -
At the bottom of Parliament Street, Vocal and Instrumental
Concerts Morning and Evening during season.
Stamp Office - Victoria Hall,
Stone Obelisk - In West Park,
is merely the boundary for two obsolete turnpike trusts and was
erected in 1778. It bears the words " The boundary of Leeds
and Ripon Turnpike Road."
Stray - The open common of 200
acres set apart in 1770, by Parliament, for the benefit of the
water drinkers, can never be enclosed or built upon. The herbage
was granted to adjoining owners, who are known as stray–gate
owners. Horses may be ridden, and spring vehicles driven on all
parts, the law says.
Swimming - In the Swimming Bath, at
Temperance Friendly Societies -
The Harrogate Temperance Society, meetings, Albert Hall; Clare
Tent, Rechabites, monthly, Albert Hall; Sons of the Phoenix,
monthly, the Hall, Westmoreland Passage.
Theatre - Nearly opposite the
Old Sulphur Well, amply supplied with ventilation, scenery, stage
and other appointments. It was formerly a promenade room, and was
converted to its present use many years ago, since which time it
has done good service to the town; a new Opera House is
contemplated by the Lessee.
The Season - Extends from May
till November, but the town is much frequented all the year
round.. The treatment in winter will be found as efficacious as in
any season of the year, for Harrogate is dry and bracing during
the colder months.
Tobogganing - Is well
understood here, and was indulged in considerably one winter. The
Magistrates considered the sport dangerous on the public hills and
ordered its discontinuance. Since that time the Cyclists
monopolise the peculiar element of legalised danger in public
thoroughfares, and Tobogganing takes to the fields. There are a
number of Yankee double runners in the town.
Town Hall - There is no
municipal building bearing this title. The corporation offices and
Council chamber are in the Victoria Baths, and town's meetings are
held in the Town Hall Theatre. A site for a Town Hall has long
since been purchased in Victoria Avenue, opposite the Police
station, but more pressing and remunerative public works have
claimed first attention.
Townships - Harrogate is in two
: Bilton–with–Harrogate and Pannal.
Turkish Baths - Are open to the public in
the Montpellier Gardens, the Harrogate Hydropathic Establishment,
and the Cairn Hydro'.
Viaduct, Crimple - Fine
engineering work, spans the Crimple Valley, is used by the N.E.R.
Company, by whom it was built. Total length about 1850 feet ; has
31 arches each 58 feet span, the highest being 130 feet.
Visitors - Harrogate has
numbered amongst its visitors the most eminent people of the
world, and constancy has ever been their characteristic. Year
after year one sees the same faces at the wells and baths, and
cannot but recognise the fact as indisputable testimony of
Harrogate's healing virtues.
Volunteers (rifle) - One
company, enrolled 14th February, t86o, with Captain, afterwards
Major, then Colonel Harrison as commanding officer. He was
succeeded by Major Holt, who, on leaving the district was followed
by Captain, subsequently Major Brady.
Walks and Footpaths - In and
around Harrogate are pleasant The Corporation erected strong iron
gates along most of them, bearing the words "Public
Footpath." This was necessary because at one time the
public's rights were in danger of being restricted. The subject is
fully treated in another part of this work.
Water Supply, (domestic) -
Copious and of excellent quality. Town is served by private
company from four reservoirs; office, Albert Street.
Wells - There are eighty wells
of many distinct varieties, some of which we have treated under
the head " Pump Rooms." We may here, however, refer to
the situations of the most important or those not previously
mentioned : thirty–four in the Bogs Field ; eight under the
Royal Pump Room; eight on the Town Hall estate; nine in the
Montpellier Gardens; and three on the Crown Hotel estate; others
at the Spa, the Tewit, and John's Wells, Starbeck, and Harlow Car.
Yeomanry - The 2nd West York
come to Harrogate for their annual ten days' training the latter
part of July.
Young Men's Christian Association - Has
rooms on Westminster Bridge, close to the Station, and the Young
Women's Association in Prospect Crescent.